Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bird's Nest Soup?

Last night I watched an episode of Andrew Zimmerman's "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel. On this particular episode, he went to Beijing... which just so happens to be the capital of the country that I am getting ready to head to shortly. It took about a day or two to sink in, and for the nausea to dissipate.

Now, I am not a stranger to bizarre foods. I'll try most anything that someone puts in front of me. However, the concept of a camel's foot strip that tastes somewhat salty and has the texture of jelly or the sight of live scorpions wriggling on a skewer just waiting to be grilled hold no appeal for me. Nor does the thought of a restaurant entirely dedicated to serving penises of various animals.

Will I be tempted by a delicately sauteed cicada or a cold donkey salad? The possibility is intriguing. Who knows. I may find that live shrimp soaking in a bath of rice wine is just what my palate is craving. I think that I am setting aside an entire bag for a stash of Imodium A-D. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that I MUST try while I am there?

7 comments:

jactressk said...

oh dude! that was going to be my next blog!!! outside of our office on 5th ave the other day, these samplers were handing out a sample. seeing as how i did that kind of work for 10 years, we took them. it wasn't until we were upstairs sitting at the lunch table that we realized what they were- salt and vinegar GRASSHOPPERS!!! and they were to announce the season premiere of that gross food show. ew!!!! i couldn't get a picture of the box, but i did scan it and am going to post it probably tomorrow. disGUSting!!!

Anonymous said...

Greg you are going to have a blast!!! Try everything!!! I love you and miss you. Tour isn't the same without you. Maybe I will got to china and see your show!!! Hey you never know. Love you!!!

Love your Cuban Vanessa!!!

Vivian said...

Sometimes I think your labels are funnier than your actual blog!

Have you heard of the thousand-year-old egg? It's a huge delicacy. It's just a really old raw egg. You have got to see the description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg
I will NOT be eating one of those on our tour!

Sarah said...

Hi Greg!
Love your blog...I'll be travelling with you guys as "3rd nun from the left" ;) and various sundry chorus roles...Eeek! I too am quite worried about the food there! I have been told NUMEROUS times not to forget the immodium, and a good friend of mine who went to india for a time said to bring pepto bismol--she took it daily when she first got to india and was one of the only ones who didn't get sick...I've half a mind to try it! ;) I too intend to blog about my trip, but haven't gotten very far, other than a few "Oh my gosh, I'm going, blah,blah,blah" entries...I've been too busy packing, but I'm excited to write more. :) What a fun role for you to be doing, I'm sure you'll be fantastic! Looking forward to meeting you, talk to ya'll soon! (Yes, I've been living in Dallas for the past 6 months, and can't believe that word has entered my vocab...) see ya soon!

jactressk said...

um, no, why in the world would i eat a grasshopper? that's disgusting. i hear shark fin soup and fish head soup are popular, and grasshopers are like popcorn and lots of gross gross grossness!!!!! i'm so grossed out reading menu items on some popular restaaraunts out there. yuckiness. i'm going to starve. i'm going to weigh 10 lbs when this is over. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jactressk said...

my bad, they are crickets...

Anonymous said...

No need to go to the penis restuarant I suppose-that's been on your menu for years. haha

Love you-Kimmy Finch